Followers

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving Card



I recently got the entire set of Tim Holtz’s Distress Markers from my good friend Janine who runs Alleystamp. I am a big comparison shopper and I do tons of research before I make a large purchase and her prices are fantastic, but it is her superior customer service that always brings me back to Alleystamp again & again. And if she doesn’t have exactly what you want she will get it for you and it doesn’t take weeks and weeks for you to get your stuff (and if for some reason it is going to take a while, Janine lets you decide what you’d like to do).  Anyway, I am in LOVE with these markers and have been playing with them like crazy.

One of the most recent cards I made using them is a Thanksgiving card for my Mom.  Since we landed in Colorado we have an interesting Thanksgiving dinner - we always get a few Papa Murphy’s pizzas the day before and feast on fresh baked pizza for our Thanksgiving meal!  Mom doesn’t have to cook at all (well, the oven does), the clean-up is super easy and everyone likes what there is to eat!  Talk about a win/win situation!  Since we cook the pizza at Mom’s, it is only polite to bring her something and, along with the pizza, this card will fit the bill. My Mom is legally blind due to glaucoma and luckily does have some limited sight left so she does best with cards that are clean and simple.  This is how I made her Happy Thanksgiving card:

To make the card you’ll need:

  • Card base of kraft cardstock
  • Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black
  • Wendy Vecchi’s Archival Ink in Orange Blossom
  • Watercolor paper
  • Twine bow (I handmade a bunch of these a while ago out of some twine I saved from when I bought my Dollar Tree Skeletons)
  • Pumpkin from Tim Holtz Mini Blueprints 5 set, CMS170
  • Nellie’s Multi Frame, MFD010
  • Happy Thanksgiving stamp from a very old Hero Arts set (the set has four seasonal greetings in it)
  • Tim Holtz Distress Markers in Spiced Marmalade, Ripe Persimmon, Brushed Corduroy, Mustard Seed, Pumice Stone and Mowed Lawn
  • Watercolor Brush (I didn't have Tim Holtz's brush yet so I used an old dried out blender pen from Stampin' Up! - I just dipped it in the water for a smidge and colored)

First, I stamped the pumpkin with the Jet Black ink on the watercolor paper.  Then I outlined the pumpkin with the Distress Markers in the pumpkin colors (I’m sorry, I didn’t write down the exact order of when I used each color) and watercolor brushed them.  I colored the stem and the leaf with the Brushed Corduroy and the little stem squiggle with Mowed Lawn. Watercolor brush them as well.  Then I took the Pumice Stone and outlined the side of the pumpkin that has the leaf for a bit of dimension (I learned this trick from one of the many YouTube video’s I watched on using the Distress Markers – if you have these and are just using them to color I highly recommend watching some videos – you will be AMAZED at what these babies can do & how they coordinate with all the Distress Products – OK Ranger, how about making some Distress Markers to match Wendy’s colors?) I did not watercolor the Pumice Stone as I was afraid I'd ruin the whole pumpkin. As my pumpkin was drying I took my Happy Thanksgiving stamp and stamped it using Wendy Vecchi’s Orange Blossom, cut it out, edged it with the same ink and pop-dotted it to the inside of the card.  Then I took my pumpkin, found the Nellie die that fit it best and die cut it.  After I glued it to my card front, the finishing touch was attaching my twine bow.  The card was quick, fun and I think it looks very seasonal (even though we just had our first snow yesterday) and I know my Mom will love it.
The outside of the card
And the inside - the picture does NOT do the color justice 


I also apologize about how crooked it is - I had already filled out the card & sealed it in the envelope when I sat down to work on the pictures or I would have taken another.  Live & learn!

Here’s hoping you & yours have a fabulous holiday, be safe and blessings to you all!

I would like to enter my Thanksgiving card in the following challenges:
The Kraft Journal - So Thankful
Twisted Tuesday Challenge - Fall/Autumn, Thankful 
Use it Tuesday - Anything Goes (I have had the Happy Thanksgiving stamp in my stash for at least 10 years and this is the first time I have used it)
Craft-Dee BowZ - Anything with a Handmade Bow
Cuttlebug Mania - Thank You for Thanksgiving
LEJ Designs - Buttons, Bows or Beads 
Crafty Cardmakers - CAS

30 comments:

  1. Very simple and pretty card. Thanks for joining the Craft-Dee BowZ challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for making such an effort and entering this weeks Challenge over on the LEJ Designs Challenge blog LEJ - Challenge 81 - Buttons Bows or Beads.

    What a really lovely card. Love the rustic feel with the kraft card and the brown string bow. Great image and coloured gorgeously with your new pens, lucky you!

    Currently we run weekly challenges with prizes of wonderful LEJ Designs images and a small crafty prize from one of our amazing sponsors.
    I really hope you will join us again for more of our future challenges....keep your eyes peeled for things to come ;-)

    <3 & Hugs
    Lisa xxxx LEJ DT Organiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colouring on your pumpkin and a fabulous simple but pretty design.]

    Thanks for sharing with us

    Lin
    Crafty Cardmakers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am terrible with CAS cards but yours is really great and I love your Thanksgiving tradition:)
    Thanks for joining our AG challenge at use it tuesday this week and hope to see you again.
    Tammy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully CAS, I love how you've coloured the pumpkin. Thanks for playing along at Cuttlebug Mania x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining in my CAS challenge at Crafty Cardmakers! Great card, and good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great CAS card and love your pumpkin!

    Thank you for joining us at Cuttlebug Mania!

    Cuttlebugs&Hugs
    Jannie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card - thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous image and card. Thank you for playing along with us at Twisted Tuesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super card. Thank you for joining with our Thank You challenge at Cuttlebug Mania.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving! Beautiful card, I am sure your Mom loved it along with the no fuss dinner! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - she did love it & the pizza was FABULOUS - hope your holiday was as much fun as mine was :)

      Delete
  12. Very nice card. Clean and simple but beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Twisted Tuesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just such a lovely Thanksgiving card! I'm sure your mom loved it. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and you enjoyed your pizza! Thanks for playing along with us at The Kraft Journal!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristi - we had a GREAT holiday! Hope yours was just as stress free :)

      Delete
  14. Pizza sounds so smart about now ! We really loved this card at The Kraft Journal - and we are planning to showcase this card, and your blog a week from Friday on our Feature Me Fridays post !! Stop by and pick up your "featured artist" button !! Well done. -Jan-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness!! Thank you SO much Jan - I am honored :) And I'm kinda hungry, too - - -hmmm, is there any pizza left?? <3

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous card!! Simple and yet so perfect!! Thanks for joining us at Twisted Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great clean and simple card. Makes me wanna get out my distress markers and play too!!!Thanks for joining us over at Twisted Tuesday Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning card!!! Thanks for joining us at Twisted Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)